Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cardiovascular


Recently, I was reminded of a group science project I had in the fourth grade. Our group was assigned to present on the circulatory system. We made a colorful slide for the overhead projector distinguishing the difference between the red and blue vessels attached to the heart. We began with the basics: Arteries move blood Away from the heart. Veins move blood to the heart.

Fourteen years later, here I am working on a cardiac unit as a registered nurse. I see patients that have actual or potential problems with their circulatory system. Angina, syncope, myocardial infarction, acute coronary syndrome, sick sinus syndrome, congestive heart failure, COPD, atrial fibrillation, AV blocks, pacemakers, AICDs, just to name a few.

And yet, when I recall the function of an artery, I still look up into the recesses of my brain and whisper to myself: Arteries move blood Away from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment