This is how I like to make my budae-jjigae:
8 cups of stock (anchovy or beef)
1/2 cup kimchi
2 green onions chopped
2 large tbsp of canned baked beans
1/2 can of Spam
1 sausage
1 slice of Kraft cheese
1/2 cup of sliced rice cake
2 tbsp of red pepper powder (gochugaru)
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 package of instant noodle (just the noodle, not the soup base)
In a pot, boil the 8 cups of stock. The traditional stock I make is water boiled with dried anchovies and kelp (dashima), then passed through a sieve. But you can also use beef stock (make sure it isn't too salty since the other ingredients are).
Combine the red pepper powder, soy sauce and minced garlic to make a paste.
In another large pot, preferably a shallow one, arrange the kimchi, green onions, beans, Spam, sausage, rice cake, and cheese. Also add some of the red pepper paste depending on how spicy you want it. Add 4 cups of the stock and let boil. Then, add the noodles and boil until the noodles are done.

The best way to make this stew is to cook it on a portable stove in the middle of the dining table where everyone serves themselves. When you start running low on the broth, just add more and maybe some more paste if needed.
There are so many variations. Dave loves to add tofu. I like to add mushrooms, specifically enoki mushrooms. I've seen bacon or seafood used. Basically, whatever you have on hand.

Maybe not the healthiest meal but it's such spicy goodness!
Wow - that looks crazy. Each ingredient is more head-scratching than the last. I think I need to try this sometime.
ReplyDeleteOr we need to have you over.
ReplyDelete