
These are some pictures from Dave's performance at the Key Club on June 4th this year for his Do-It-Yourself Music Marketing class. The students in his class learned to book, promote, and perform. It has definitely been a challenge for Dave, trying to find his place in the music industry where he is good at what he does, enjoys what he does, and where it sits well with our souls... but it is pretty fun!

Understanding Dave's love for music has also been a challenge for me since the beginning of our courtship. During undergrad, I couldn't understand why he spent so much time playing the guitar, composing music and not "studying" according to my standards. When we got married, Dave started his own music fund from his tips that I agreed not to touch. I learned to critique his music without being too harsh, starting with the good stuff and ending with the needed improvements, but also being honest.

When he made the decision to take an indefinite break from Fuller and explore his options in the music industry, I learned to break away from my traditional view of Christian outreach and formulate our role and duty as Christians together in a more creative way. The journey is just beginning, and maybe Dave will be called to traditional ministry in the church one day, but for now, I'm learning to be ever more reliant on the Holy Spirit. We are constantly re-evaluating what is acceptable in God's eyes and not the eyes of those around us. To those who see this transition as "back-sliding", I see it as just the opposite.
**title amended from Forward-sliding to Forward-rising
I like that, I like it a lot. Although forward-sliding still sounds a bit like a drop off - maybe forward-rising?
ReplyDeleteGood point!
ReplyDelete