Monday, August 30, 2010

I woke up yesterday from my nap to a vague shadow of something crawling on my ceiling. It was blurry because my contacts were out... but I flipped. I ran out of our bedroom screaming and Dave (happily napping beside me) jolted up along with me. "I think I saw something!! You have to go check it out! I don't have my contacts on." Poor Dave, confused from his sleep, goes to check the room and nothing.

I was pretty sure I saw a creature or a bug that was 3 inches long with 3 long protrusions... I think? Man was I freaked out... but the more I came to my senses, I don't think I've ever seen anything shaped like that in my life. Not a bug or an animal.

So this is what it feels like to hallucinate. Was it a dream?

I had a patient before that saw cats in her room and couldn't believe otherwise. This patient was at least pleasant. some patients have hit, kicked and yelled at me as a result of their delusions.

This gets me to thinking, where and how does the good news of Christ sit with those who have dementia or psychiatric disorders - who genuinely you can not reason with. Those whose fear is genuine to them, however, delusional it is in reality. Even when I knew what I saw was probably a dream, I still barely could step foot back in our bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment