Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thoughts after work

Dave performed once again last night at the Coffee Gallery in Altadena. Fortunately, even though I couldn't make it... AGAIN... our good friends Sherman Lee and Ben Wideman made it out and both even posted a blog on the night that kept me up to speed.

Thanks to Sherman, when I got back from work, I watched a couple videos of Dave doing what he loves. I loved watching him in his element, probably just as much as he loves watching me gab about how much I enjoy my job and school. Both of us are at a peak in our lives that may define our careers for many more years. It has been a challenging time that has brought many thoughts about our values to the forefront. Where has our time gone to be with friends and family?

I can't help but think of the many elderly patients I see in the hospital admitted because they have been living independently for years and suddenly one day collapsed at home, only to be found days later by their busy family members. When I asked my patient where her son was, she replied, "He's too busy to care for me. He's a corporate attorney." I think to myself, I truly hope my parents or grandparents don't end up in that predicament and vow that it won't. Yet, here we are living just hours from my mother-in-law and grandparents and only seeing them, if we're lucky, once a month - let alone my parents who we see in short spurts during the year.

Globalization has definitely made the world smaller... but are our families getting the brunt of it? We're still trying to find the right balance and somehow I think it will be a lifelong struggle.

3 comments:

  1. I equate Globalization somewhat to Homogenization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello LIVING WITH THE CHOS - I'm a part of the Film Festival Flix Pasadena Team, and we found your blog and really enjoy it. We think you might be interested in attending our inaugural event and getting in touch with other story-tellers and story enthusiasts in your area. Here is the info, hope to meet you there!

    FILM FESTIVAL FLIX PASADENA
    Presents
    FACE TO FACE and EXPIRATION
    Filmmakers and Talent in attendance for Q&A


    Wednesday, September 5, 2012
    Pasadena CA, Laemmle Playhouse 7
    7:00pm FACE TO FACE (Australia)
    9:30pm EXPIRATION (S.Africa)

    TRAILERS / INFO
    Face to Face www.FilmFestivalFlix.com/film/face-to-face / (AUSTRALIA)
    Expiration www.FilmFestivalFlix.com/film/expiration/ (SOUTH AFRICA)

    VENUE
    Laemmle Playhouse 7
    673 East Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91101

    SPONSORED BY
    BLVD Hotel & Spa

    FOR MORE INFO
    Please go to
    FilmFestivalFlix.com


    *** FOR DISCOUNTED TICKETS, CHECK OUT -
    http://filmfestivalflixpasadena.eventbrite.com/?access=PRISCILLA907

    ReplyDelete