Dave and I had the day off yesterday... and with some dilemma as to where we should go on a day trip, we decided to head to Orange County to have lunch with Grandpa and Grandma. While Dave and Grandpa talked about their family histories, I helped Grandma go through her meds and medical history and made a little pocket list for them to carry around. Apparently, she was admitted in January for an angiogram. I had no idea! So much for their RN granddaughter.
We then spent the afternoon with Grace, my cousin, in Huntington Beach... Lena, my other cousin, joined us for dinner at Tokyo Table and we ended our evening chatting at Grace's house with the family and Danny. We shared stories of our times with Grandpa.
Uncle Peter gave us a story of when they had just moved to California. Peter had finished junior college and was working, helping out with their landscaping business, making nearly $5000 a month. Pretty good for the 70's. He remembers Grandpa advising him to save up for a year and make a down payment on a house, or even two. Grandpa had run many businesses in Korea and knew it was a great time in the housing market to invest. At the time, Peter thought it was such a ridiculous idea... but now when he thinks back, it could have potentially been one of the best moves he may have made in his lifetime if he had. Grandpa was a wise man.
I then said to Uncle Peter, if we follow the logic that Grandpa is a wise man, then the advice he gives now must be even more valuable since he has lived the bulk of his life. Looking back to our lunch with him, I remember all he kept repeating to Dave and me was to hurry and have children. "Nothing is more important than having children and expanding your family."
Indeed - very wise words!
ReplyDelete